I really like your concept. I think this imagery is really disturbing, but that works really well because the real life images of these stick thin girls is equally disturbing. I think it would be really interesting to try and incorporate how women's bodies have been manipulated over time because there has been such a drastic change in how women's bodies are perceived. I think it would also be interesting to look at this in other cultures-- what comes to mind to me is in old chinese(i think) culture how women used to bind their feet to make them appear smaller. Their bones were broken and their natural bodies to physically changed in order to gain a desired look. I think there are a lot of interesting angles you could take here can't wait to see what you come up with!
I love both of your works here. I'm in love with anchors therefore I was immediately drawn to the first picture. The second is Frida-esque another quality which draws me in further.
Manipulating the female form is very interesting because without even being aware we manipulate or bodies every day. With the clothes we wear, the torture we put ourselves thru to meet the standards our society states what is beauty. We do everything to our bodies and its still not enough.
4 comments:
I really like your concept. I think this imagery is really disturbing, but that works really well because the real life images of these stick thin girls is equally disturbing. I think it would be really interesting to try and incorporate how women's bodies have been manipulated over time because there has been such a drastic change in how women's bodies are perceived. I think it would also be interesting to look at this in other cultures-- what comes to mind to me is in old chinese(i think) culture how women used to bind their feet to make them appear smaller. Their bones were broken and their natural bodies to physically changed in order to gain a desired look. I think there are a lot of interesting angles you could take here can't wait to see what you come up with!
I love both of your works here. I'm in love with anchors therefore I was immediately drawn to the first picture. The second is Frida-esque another quality which draws me in further.
Manipulating the female form is very interesting because without even being aware we manipulate or bodies every day. With the clothes we wear, the torture we put ourselves thru to meet the standards our society states what is beauty. We do everything to our bodies and its still not enough.
I agree with the comments, the work is very compelling. I will be interested to see how you incorporate the digital and screenprint.
Post a Comment